Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Design It: Penguin Classics

Photobucket
Photobucket

I don't know about you, but when I see an orange Penguin Classic book I can not help but get excited. Their design is so simple yet beautiful! I am a strong believer in simplicity. A good design does not need ten million things going on at once to grab your attention. In fact, busy designs tend to hurt my brain because it does not know where to focus it's attention. When I am designing I like to use the common fashion rule: "Look in the mirror and take off one accessory before leaving the house." Except I change it to "Take one excessive part of the design out before sending it to the printer." Clean, simple designs have so much more of an impact on the viewer and are usually the most memorable. For instance, I bet you could see the binding of a Penguin Classic cover from across the room and know exactly who the publisher is. That orange and cream cover will forever represent Penguin books in your mind. I actually have been seeing less and less of these beautiful covers around lately. I believe they are pretty rare in the US, but thankfully they are available in other countries. Well, lucky for those of you in England and Australia (I am so jealous!). Below are some of the great products Penguin sells with their iconic orange and cream cover. I am in LOVE with the Jane Eyre mug!!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. They are so great, aren't they? It sort of makes me want to read them all over again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...